The needle exchange service runs alongside the Sexual Health Service at the Health Centre in Kirkwall. This is a free service for users of intravenous (IV) drugs and performance enhancing drugs (e.g. steroids).
The service aims to reduce the spread of blood borne viruses (HIV, Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B) and to offer information and advice to reduce the harms associated with injecting drug use.
The Needle Exchange Service offers the following:
- Assessment of need on first contact
- Safe disposal of used sets of injecting equipment
- Access to sterile sets of injecting equipment, disposal bins, sterile water and citric acid
- Advice and practical support on alternatives to injecting
- Access to a range of free condoms
- Training on how to use Naloxone (a drug which temporarily reverses the action of an opiod overdose).
- Access to Hepatitis A & B and tetanus immunisation
- Advice and information on 'safer' injecting practices
- Advice and information on HIV, Hepatitis B & C
- Testing for HIV and Hepatitis B and C
- Referral to drug services if appropriate
No appointment necessary, please drop-in to Nordhaven Clinic between 9am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday.